School District 25 Policy
Adopted: January 27, 2015
Legal Ref: 103-22, Title X, Part C, #1042, 108 STAT 271, 3-31-94
The Fremont County School District No. 25 Board of Trustees recognizes that the use of tobacco products is a health, safety, and environmental hazard for students, employees, visitors and school facilities.
The Board acknowledges that adult employees and visitors serve as role models for students and the Boards acceptance of any use of tobacco products is inconsistent with school curricula and implies school approval, if not endorsement, of such use. In addition, the Board recognizes that it has an obligation to provide positive role models in school to promote a healthy learning and working environment for students, employees, and visitors to school campuses.
The Board recognizes it has a legal obligation pursuant to 20 U.S.C. § 6083 to provide schools that are tobacco free.
Accordingly, the Board enacts:
1. The use of any tobacco product-cigarette, electronic cigarette-type products, cigar, snuff, dip, chew or other tobacco product is prohibited. This prohibition includes students, all school staff, parents and visitors or any other person on a FCSD #25 site.
2. This tobacco policy extends to all school property (indoors and outdoors), in school vehicles and at school-sponsored functions away from school property.
3. FCSD #25 students in possession of tobacco products while on school property or at school sponsored events will be referred to the school principal for discipline or referral to law enforcement. The school administration will direct students who are cited for tobacco use or break school tobacco policy to a school sponsored program designed to help them quit tobacco.
4. Enforcement of the policy will be the responsibility of:
a. the employees of the District, and
b. all employees are authorized to communicate this policy with courtesy, to anyone in the facility, vehicles or district grounds.
Corrective action for any employee violating this policy will be handled through established disciplinary procedures.
5. FCSD #25 employees who use tobacco products will be encouraged to participate in tobacco cessation classes.
6. All signs, posters, or other devices, which advertise tobacco or tobacco products, are prohibited on school property, in school vehicles and at school-sponsored functions away from school property. Use of curricular materials or supplies provided by tobacco companies is prohibited.
7. Sponsorship of any program or activity by companies or businesses whose primary product is tobacco is prohibited.