FCSD25 Seal

School District 25 Policy

Title IX Complaints And Grievances

Policy 1625
Adopted: April 9, 1985

Policy Statement

Fremont County School District No. 25 will not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, or national origin in its educational programs, activities or employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments. Inquiries regarding compliance with Title IX may be directed to: Director of Pupil Services, (Title IX Coordinator) School District No. 25, 121 North Fifth West, Riverton, WY 82501, phone 856-9407, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, Federal Building, 1961 Stout Street, Denver, CO 80294.

General Information

Disclaimer:
In the adoption and implementation of this Grievance Procedure, it shall be understood that the Board of Trustees is not a court of law, and that rules of jurisprudence shall not apply. The procedure is, however, designed to facilitate resolution of the grievance.
Records:
Complete proceedings shall be a matter of written record and will be retained in the Office of the Title IX Coordinator for two (2) school years.
Reprisals:
No reprisal of any kind shall be taken by or against any party of legitimate interest or any legitimate participant in the Grievance Procedure by reason of such participation.
Procedure:
At each procedural level, the complainant shall be given the opportunity to be present and to be heard. Decisions at all levels shall be written and shall include supporting explanations and evidence. Copies of written decisions will be furnished to all interested parties.
Initiation of Complaint:
A School District No. 25 student, applicant or employee may initiate a complaint by completing a "Complaint Report Form" (providing supporting statements and evidence in describing the specific nature of the complaint in sufficient detail to permit the involved parties the opportunity to respond.) The completed form is to be presented to the Title IX Coordinator within 180 calendar days of the date upon which the complainant learned or should have known of the circumstances upon which the complaint is based. If not so presented, the complaint will be considered waived.
Levels of Grievance Procedure:
Internal
  1. Level I

Within ten (10) regular working days of receipt of a written complaint, the Title IX Coordinator will confer with the complainant, investigate the incident, and provide the complainant with a written statement of the Level I decision, complete with supporting reasons. In each case, the building Principal or immediate supervisor shall participate with the Title IX Coordinator in making the decision and writing the Level I report. This decision will indicate whether wrongful discrimination did in fact take place.

2. Level II

A complainant who does not accept the decision of the Title IX Coordinator and building administrator, may within ten (10) days of receipt of the Level I decision, make a written request for a hearing with the Superintendent of Schools. The hearing request shall include a copy of the original complaint, supporting statements and evidence, and decisions with supporting statements reached at Level I. Within ten (10) days of receipt of the hearing request, the Superintendent shall meet with the complainant to discuss the original complaint and previous decisions reached, and within ten (10) days of the hearing, provide the complainant with a written decision complete with supporting reasons.

3. Level III

A complainant that does not accept the decisions rendered at Level I or Level II may, within ten (10) days of receipt of the decision at Level II, file a written request with the Superintendent for a hearing before the Board of Trustees. Within thirty (30) days of this request, the Board of Trustees will set a hearing date for the complainant. The hearing will be scheduled within sixty (60) days from date of complainant's request. The Board of Trustee's written decision shall be sent to the complainant within ten (10) days of the hearing.

External

Contact the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, Federal Building, 1961 Stout Street, Denver, CO 80294.