FCSD25 Seal

School District 25 Policy

Code Of Ethics

Policy 1105
Adopted: April 25, 2000

As a member of the Board of Trustees of a Fremont County School District No. 25, Fremont County, Wyoming (the "District'), I recognize that:

1. The community has entrusted me with the formal education of the youth of this public school District.
  2. The public expects my first and greatest concern to be in the best interest of all of the students as well as each and every student without distinction as to who they are or what their background may be.
  3. The future welfare of this community, of this State, and of the nation depends in the largest measure upon the quality of education and training we provide in the public schools to fit the needs of every individual.
  4. My fellow Board members and I must take the initiative in providing the people of this District with the facts about their public school district, to the end that they will readily support our efforts to provide the finest possible instructional program, teachers, support staff, and physical facilities.
  5. Legally, the authority of this Board is derived from the Wyoming Education Code which controls the organization and operations of the District and which determines the degree of discretionary power left with the Board of Trustees and the citizens of this District for exercise of local autonomy.
  6. One must never neglect my personal obligation to the citizens of the District and my legal obligation to the State, nor surrender these responsibilities to any other person, group, or organization. I have a moral and civil obligation to the nation which can remain strong and free only so long as public education in the United States of America is kept free and strong.

In view of the above, I will:

1. Devote time, thought, and study to the duties and responsibilities of a member of the Board of Trustees so that I may render effective and creditable service.
  2. Work with my fellow Board members in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that arise during debate of points at issue.
  3. Base my personal decision upon all available facts in each situation; to vote my honest conviction in every case, and uphold the final majority decision of the Board.
  4. Remember at all times that as an individual I have no legal authority outside the meetings of the Board, and to conduct my relationships with employees of the District, local citizens, and all communication media on the basis of this fact.
  5. Resist every temptation and outside pressure to use my position as a member of the Board of Trustees to benefit either myself or any other individual or agency apart from the total interest of the District.
  6. Recognize that it is as important for the Board to understand and evaluate the educational program of the District as it is to plan for the District business operations.
  7. Bear in mind that the primary function of the board is to employ a Superintendent and establish the policies by which the District is to be administered, and that the administration of the District and the conduct of District business shall be delegated to the Superintendent and the Superintendent's certified, professional non-certified and classified staff.
  8. Welcome and encourage active cooperation by citizens and the communications media in the District with respect to advise in current District operation, program needs, and proposed future developments.
  9. Prepare for and participate in all Board meetings.
  10. Hold in confidence and not disclose directly or indirectly any and all statements made by myself or others in executive sessions of the Board of Trustees.
  11. Hold in confidence all information, whether written or oral, arising out of the personnel file of current or past employee of the District; and not disclose either directly or indirectly such information to any person not permitted by law to have access to such information.
  12. Keep up to date on changes and trends in public education by reading newsletters, journals, and other reference sources and by attending conferences, seminars, and work shops consistent with Board policy.
  13. Acknowledge that no member of the Board of Trustees may received any compensation as a trustee and that all expenses of Board members will be reimbursed when the expenses are authorized by the Board of Trustees.
  14. Strive step by step toward ideal conditions for most effective Board services to the District, in a spirit of teamwork and devotion to public education as one of the greatest instruments for the preservation and perpetuation of our representative democracy.