School District 25 Policy
Code Of Ethics
Adopted: April 25, 2000
As a member of the Board of Trustees of a Fremont County School
District No. 25, Fremont County, Wyoming (the "District'), I recognize that:
- The community has entrusted me with the formal education
of the youth of this public school District.
- The public expects my first and greatest concern to be
in the best interest of all of the students as well as each and every student
without distinction as to who they are or what their background may be.
- The future welfare of this community, of this State, and of the nation depends
in the largest measure upon the quality of education and training we provide
in the public schools to fit the needs of every individual.
- My fellow Board members and I must take the initiative
in providing the people of this District with the facts about their public
school district, to the end that they will readily support our efforts to
provide the finest possible instructional program, teachers, support staff,
and physical facilities.
- Legally, the authority of this Board is derived from
the Wyoming Education Code which controls the organization and operations
of the District and which determines the degree of discretionary power left
with the Board of Trustees and the citizens of this District for exercise
of local autonomy.
- One must never neglect my personal obligation to the
citizens of the District and my legal obligation to the State, nor surrender
these responsibilities to any other person, group, or organization. I have
a moral and civil obligation to the nation which can remain strong and free
only so long as public education in the United States of America is kept free
In view of the above, I will:
- Devote time, thought, and study to the duties and responsibilities
of a member of the Board of Trustees so that I may render effective and creditable
- Work with my fellow Board members in a spirit of harmony
and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that arise during debate
of points at issue.
- Base my personal decision upon all available facts in
each situation; to vote my honest conviction in every case, and uphold the
final majority decision of the Board.
- Remember at all times that as an individual I have no
legal authority outside the meetings of the Board, and to conduct my relationships
with employees of the District, local citizens, and all communication media
on the basis of this fact.
- Resist every temptation and outside pressure to use my
position as a member of the Board of Trustees to benefit either myself or
any other individual or agency apart from the total interest of the District.
- Recognize that it is as important for the Board to understand
and evaluate the educational program of the District as it is to plan for
the District business operations.
- Bear in mind that the primary function of the board is
to employ a Superintendent and establish the policies by which the District
is to be administered, and that the administration of the District and the
conduct of District business shall be delegated to the Superintendent and
the Superintendent's certified, professional non-certified and classified
- Welcome and encourage active cooperation by citizens
and the communications media in the District with respect to advise in current
District operation, program needs, and proposed future developments.
- Prepare for and participate in all Board meetings.
- Hold in confidence and not disclose directly or indirectly
any and all statements made by myself or others in executive sessions of the
Board of Trustees.
- Hold in confidence all information, whether written
or oral, arising out of the personnel file of current or past employee of
the District; and not disclose either directly or indirectly such information
to any person not permitted by law to have access to such information.
- Keep up to date on changes and trends in public education
by reading newsletters, journals, and other reference sources and by attending
conferences, seminars, and work shops consistent with Board policy.
- Acknowledge that no member of the Board of Trustees
may received any compensation as a trustee and that all expenses of
Board members will be reimbursed when the expenses are authorized by the Board
- Strive step by step toward ideal conditions for most
effective Board services to the District, in a spirit of teamwork and
devotion to public education as one of the greatest instruments for the preservation
and perpetuation of our representative democracy.